Sunday, July 22, 2007

Belated Birthday Buzz

I've been meaning to post about Drew's birthday bashes for a week, but I wanted to get some pictures up and with our oh-so-slow dial-up, that's like an all-day affair. So, today I have access to high-speed internet and decided to take advantage.

We had two parties this year: a fun, relaxed family party with grandmas, grandpas, aunts and uncles as Como Park in St. Paul, and then his very first "kid" party at Phelps Park here in town.

We had a Curious George theme for both parties and I had way too much fun (and stayed up way too late!) making monkey cupcakes. They were a little putzy but totally easy and I think they turned out pretty cute!













The big present this year was a bike. I was a little conflicted about it (how can my baby be old enough for a bike??) but Daddy was SOOO excited to give it to him! We managed to convince him before hand that he wasn't getting one, so he was oh so sweetly surprised and pretty much speechless with excitement!
(Doesn't he look so old all perched up there like a real boy?!)

Not 10 minutes after he hopped on we had our first catastrophe: a pedal came loose. Luckily, all available mechanics rushed to the scene to get him up and running again!
The weather for his family party could not have been more perfect, but we didn't get so lucky the second time around. (I think I should start recording the temp and humidity level on his birthday each year -- it seems it's always beastly!) 'Course the kids didn't care too much -- they just kept guzzling that lemonade!

The combination of cupcakes, presents, a playground and seven 3-6 year olds was mildly chaotic, but thanks to a sense of humor and the quick-thinking and creativity of my best friend Tracey and my husband, all went well and I think every one had a really good time.

So, I can't end this post without saying this: I love birthday parties! Yes, I admit, partly it's because I love picking out cute plates and tableclothes and figuring out how to make cute little cupcakes at one o'clock in the morning (sad, I know -- I just miss those all-nighters in college, ah the adreneline rush!). But, mostly it's because I love gathering all the people I love most in one place. I just love, love, love getting both my family and Brad's family together and being able to look around the table and see all the people that are dearest to me eating and talking and laughing together. And I love that they are all there because they love my son so much. What an indescribable gift God has given him -- and us! And, I have to say, I felt much the same way at his "kid" party: the little people at that party represent some of our family's closest friends--and Drew loves each one of them immensely. What a blessing!

So there you have it. The boy is officially four and I've got a whole year to figure out how to make a Thomas the Tank Engine cake! Any ideas?!

No comments: