Friday, October 15, 2010

Abracadabra...poof!

Liam was doing a magic show for me tonight before bed. This consists of me sitting on the floor in his room while he stands in front of me with two items in his hands. Then he says, "Close your eyes," and while I do that, he sets one of the items on the floor behind his legs. Then he stands up straight and says, "Open your eyes," and when I do he presents the one item where there had been two. I then make a big production about where the other item went and he gives me a sly grin and says, "Magic!" Then we do the whole thing in reverse, going from one item back to two. And then we repeat...four or five or twelve times.

So tonight we were probably on repetition number 4 or so, having used various toys and other items around his room. In this particular round he was using two little plastic slinkies. I shut my eyes, he put it behind his leg, I opened my eyes, he presented the lone slinky, I carried on, he grinned and said,"Magic!" I was then instructed to shut my eyes again. Just as Liam was about to bend over and turn to pick up the slinky so it could "reappear," I heard said slinky roll across the floor and saw (because I was now peeking) it land behind the hamper. Oblivious to what had just occurred, he continued to bend down and pick it up from where he had left it. And then... "WHOA!!! MOMMA!!! IT'S REALLY MAGIC!!" I opened my eyes, trying so hard not to laugh -- Liam's eyes were as big as saucers. He looked all around and then said, breathlessly, "The other times I was tricking you. I said it was magic but I really just set it down behind my leg. But this time, it's really GONE! It IS magic!!"

He never did discover what happened. He went to bed totally convinced he'd somehow pulled off the real thing this time!

2 comments:

Chris Hensel said...

Absolutely fantastic.

Alaina Beth said...

This is great.